Wednesday, October 27, 2010



My apartment building set fire last night around 2 a.m. I woke up to a fire alarm and peeped down the hallway through the peephole. The hallway looked clean and clear and unassuming and false-alarm-like. Then I went to the bathroom. While in the bathroom, someone pounded (kicked?) on my door and yelled at me to get out. I peeped down the hallway again. This time it was filled with smoke. I grabbed my camera, my coat, and my pajama pants and held my breath. Outside I met all my shivery neighbors for a while. They seemed nice. We're not supposed to have cats, but some of them have cats.

8 comments:

Phill said...

Oh, holy crap, dude. I'm glad you're OK. Is your apartment OK?

DJ Berndt said...

Whoa, that's awful. I'm glad you are all right.

ML said...

everything in-tact?

Zachary Schomburg said...

Thanks for the concern. Everything, and everyone, is in tact, yes. Just a little smoke damage. It was fun to see everyone out on the street--these strange faces from the mail room and the hallway. It was like we were having a little meet-n-greet pot luck, but with more cats in boxes.

rodney k said...

Wow. Weird to think I'd just seen you like, 3 hours before. Glad it wasn't the last time, & that you're O.K.

R said...

I'm glad there wasn't any real damage. I remember when someone burned popcorn bad enough once to set off the fire alarms in my old building. Firetrucks came. Our building was connected to a monastery. It was funny to stand outside and watch all these priests pour out into the street in pajamas in the snow.

britni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
britni said...

but some of them have cats