Monday, February 19, 2007


A and I took my 17 year old sister, K, to the Jon Mayer concert Sunday night in Omaha. It was fun. She had fun. We had fun. But it made me realize how my concert-going pace has slowed way too far down. Thinking about old concerts and whatnot, so I thought I'd list some of my favorite concert memories.
Note: All of these concerts took place between 1995 and 2001 and are not necessarily on the list because of their performance or my fandom.

The Urge in Springfield, MO (all 14-18 times) (usually opened with Fragile Porcelain Mice)
Frogs in Chicago
Run-DMC/Pavement/The Apples in Stereo in Columbia, MO
Toadies/Hum in Springfield, MO (first real concert)
Weezer in Columbia, MO
Promise Ring/Bad Religion in Cleveland
Pernice Brothers/Hayden in Lawrence, KS
Superchunk/GBV in Columbia, MO
They Might Be Giants in Cleveland
Rage Against the Machine/Wu-Tang Clan in St. Louis
Smashing Pumpkins in KC
Flaming Lips in Lincoln
The Make-Up in Chicago
GBV in Omaha
Lucinda Williams/Lawrence Ferlinghetti (not singing) in Hot Springs, AR
Songs:Ohia in Lincoln

6 comments:

Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

Isn't it great how rock concerts are instantly a part of history?

You're lucky to have seen Rage Against the Machine. The one time I went to see them, they did the famous, naked "PMRC" protest in Philadelphia. It's history, but what a great band to see live.

CLAY BANES said...

i'm happy you saw the make-up.

TT said...

The Urge!

We're going to the liquor store!!

Doc said...

I am very surprised to not see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Kansas City on your list Mr. S. Especially considering your fellow concertgoers. Such as MB, KR, and the creamiest CC.

Zachary Schomburg said...

You're right, Doc (is it?). Good call. Consider it an official list entry, despite the fact I half-caught one of Chad Smith's drum sticks right after he sodomized himself with it.

Lester Shue said...

Tell me about the GBV............