Sunday, September 11, 2005

Having thoughts of putting a poetry reading series together here in Lincoln. Have a few possibles lined up, possibly. Trying to think of a name for the thing--always the first step. Trying to line up a venue. Exciting times--I'll get back to you later with what I don't know (now).

Tinkering with the manny for the fall send-outs (I gots my 200 dollars saved up for the attack). It seems to keep getting smaller. Is that the way it should be? Starting a new one, but man, all these new poems want into the old manny. I tell them no, but they won't listen.

Today we're hosting A's grandparents for grandparents day. I grilled too many bratwursts. Then C and I cleaned the dead leaves from my gutter.

2 comments:

Craig Morgan Teicher said...

It seems impossible to me to start a new manuscript while the old one is still open. I just keep replaceing the poem I like less with new ones I like more. I think you should let the new ones into the old one.

Matthew Thorburn said...

I find I do that too, though at a certain point I close that door, keeping a few newest things back, and think, OK, these poems are the beginning of a new ms. There's a reassuring feeling for me in having a few starters in hand for whatever the next ms turns into, even if they fall out of the line-up, eventually -- sort of like kindling for the next fire. Maybe it's just my reluctance to ever truly start from scratch.