Monday, July 09, 2007











Night #24. Jasper National Park. 7500 miles. Back into the mountains. Grabbed a campsite on a glacial river (that green one) where the mosquitoes were like a fog. It made us want to cry. When we got out of our tent in the morning, there were all over us. I can't describe to you how miserable this is. Can you see them there on the tent? I swear one bit me on the heart. Took a hike north of Jasper (the town in the park) and encountered a grizzly bear. No joke. It was the one time we weren't wearing our bear bells. It was a fairly popular trail, though that day we were the only ones on it, it seemed. The bear was about 40 feet ahead of us on the trail and didn't know we were there. A took a picture of it (can you make it out there in the trees?). It must have heard the snap of the camera and it stood up on its hind legs for a second to check us out then ran the other way. It can run fast. I reminded A not to run when the thing stood up, but it is pretty easy to forget all that. I made crap in my pants.

No comments: