Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I am in love with Designer Denny Schmickle. He does all the pro-bono design work for Octopus (he did those broadsheets too I was talking about a few weeks back, which will soon be available at an Octopus Books site that I'll let you know about soon), and the posters for Clean Part. And many other beautiful things. Anyway he has his MFA thesis show (Universal Remote) April 3-12 at the Eisentrager Howard Gallery in Richards Hall on UNL's campus. There'll be a reception on Saturday, April 7, from 5-7 pm and Eagle*Seagull (he designed their site too) is going to bring the rock.

And I'm very very excited about the following: for part of his show, he designed these books, see, of two of my poems (The Whale and Ottoman Empire, the). I'm calling them very limited edition one-off publications from Universal Remote. You should come by then and see them. Pick them up and touch them.

Check em.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous! Is he going to be involved in the forthcoming Octopus books?

Zachary Schomburg said...

Oh ho ho ho, yes he most certainly will. He's going to design all 8. Get that chapmanny in. And spread the word.

www.octopusmagazine.com/issue07/html/contest.htm

CLAY BANES said...

as someone who has only seen it electronically and does not have snow, denny's work kicks ass. very talented work. i may move to lincoln.

kate said...

those look great! I wish I could make it to his show, but I live in mississippi.

will said...

i think his stuff looks cool. but what do i know? i didn't major in art, so nothing. it probly stinks and i wouldn't know the difference. big congratulations to denny on his mastery of art!