Friday, March 17, 2006

Ok. Off for a haircut. Sending off broadsheets (our printer people weren't quite on the ball here). Celebrating St. Patty's and birthdays with the 'rents tonight. Then, with less hair on my head/face, I'll grade papers this weekend, write poems.

If you're not a baseball fan, the following will bore you to death. But I promise not to use this blog as a fantasy baseball venue from here on out (except for the occasional gloat here and there).

Here's what I managed to scrounge together in my fantasy baseball draft last night (not bad for a league 18 teams deep):

C. Mike Piazza. After Victor Martinez, all catchers are pretty much the same, statistically I think. And, I'll admit, a little nostalgia is at work here. At least I didn't pick Sammy Sosa. No one did.

1B. Jim Thome. I've been hooked on this guy since I ate the Thome Triple at McDonalds. So beefy. So cheesy. Packed with homeruns.

2B. Ray Durham. Hey, the draft was low on quality second basemen, and I waited too long. Lets just hope he starts most of the time.

3B. Aramis Ramirez. 100 RBIs. 35 HRs. Solid pick.

SS. David Eckstein. He's a little twirp who has little natural ability. But the kid has heart. He's good filler. Won't kill the team.

LF. Carl Crawford. I'll be toward the top of the league in SBs because of this guy alone. Solid all around. Stongest and most dependable guy I got.

CF. JD Drew. He's either a sleeper or a bust. He's made of glass, but so is his ceiling (all these lines are mine, especially that last one. I could write for a really bad fantasy mag).

RF. Jermaine Dye. 80 RBIs. 30 HRs. In the middle of a solid White Sox lineup. This was my late round steal if I may say so.

UTIL/OF. Jacques Jones. Carl Everett. Gary Matthews, Jr. Darin Erstad (my boy).

___
My pitching is solid. I passed up Johan Santana to get Carl Crawford, but I think I cleaned up afterward. Lots of Red Sox. Lots of K's in this rotation.

SP. Dontrelle Willis. Josh Beckett. John Lackey. Cliff Lee. Matt Clement. Tim Wakefield.

RP. Dan Wheeler. Chris Reitsma. David Riske. Wheeler has a great chance of being the closer if Lidge gets hurt. He's lights out. Reitsma will start the season as the closer, but I don't imagine he'll last too long.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

my roommate, poet carson cistulli, has some serious questions about your draft.
1. are you in a 5X5 league?
2. pick up rickie weeks for durham if possible (that's not really a question, more of a demand)
3. think about both Gomes (Tampa Bay) Hermida (Florida) for your outfield instead of Dye (again, more of a demand)
4. re: Eckstein- WTF? is Khalil Greene avaliable? or Crosby?


so there you go. I'm bummed I wasn't able to make it to Austin- hopefully next year.

yr friend,

Christopher DeWeese

Zachary Schomburg said...

CD,

Dude, we gots 18 teams in this league. I'm not the only one with a Ray Durham in their infield. I had my eye on Rickie Weeks and thought I could snag him in a later round, but he went pretty early. Grudzeilanek is still out there, and Adam Kennedy (who may be a better choice now that I think about it), but there aren't much better. When 18 teams have to pick a 2nd baseman, and there are only 5 or 6 killer second baseman available, you get stuck with some filler. Durham is decent filler. He won't kill me. Same with Eckstein (hell no, Khalil Greene isn't available. Do you think I would've picked Eckstein over Greene or Crosby?). And I don't think Dye is too bad a pick-up. What is so wrong with Dye? I got Gary Matthews backing him up, and his hotstreaks get hot. Same with Carl Everett.

Do you have a lineup?

Chris Tonelli said...

I'm nervous that Piazza going back to catching will limit his innings (my nervousness is relative to other nervousness I have about other world events...but still). Thome is going to blow up. Huge year. Nice pick, w/ or w/o the burger. I'll keep Beckett on point here in Boston...make sure he keeps his nose clean. I think Jacques Jones will put up some surprising numbers (those Twins are so gosh darn well-coached). Team or nice team? Nice team.

TT said...

Jacque's w/ the Cubbies now . .

Zach, I'll trade you Rickie Weeks for Crawford.

jwg said...

Somehow all the teams look stronger the longer I stare at them.

I wanted to pick up Durham, then I didn’t, then I did, now I don’t.

jwg said...

but then i did