Saturday, June 11, 2005

Earlier this week, I got a chance to visit A at her little cottage on the Crow Reservation (she is working there through the summer as part of her internship). It was quite an eye-opening experience. I had the frightening opportunity to be a minority for a few days. It felt like I was intruding, that I didn't belong and perhaps wasn't welcome. It probably didn't help that I was taking pictures of everything. And the two 12 year old boys (at the oldest) following me in the pickup truck at every turn didn't help put me at ease. Very very poor area. A 3rd world county. A is doing terrific work and I am proud of her. The land is absolutely beautiful--I could really feel a sense of sacredness while I was there. And the people are so proud.

We had the chance to spend an afternoon together also, and we drove down to the site of the Battle of Little Big Horn (Custer's Last Stand). That was super cool. That elementary History text book came alive after all these years!

No comments: