Friday, July 08, 2005

Black Cloud

Despite the fact that we're moving to Lincoln in a month, I have yet to tell my dispatcher friends and co-workers, and most importantly, my dispatcher boss, that I will be quitting. This is looming and hanging. Quitting is a difficult thing for me to do, it is like breaking up, and I'm deathly afraid of it. I'm afraid of the reaction on the faces, the awkwardness, the major disappointment in me. In fact, dispatcher boss just called me in to his office a few days ago and told me how wonderful a job I was doing, how proud he is to have me on the team, and how excited he was to be able to continue working with me in the future. I could have told him then, but I would have rather stabbed myself in the face. Anyway, it must be done within the week, I think. Should I do it with a letter? Otherwise, I'll just stumble over all the sensible points and look like a jackass. Oh, the horror! Oh, the awkward last two weeks afterward!

I hope they don't google me and read my blog. If so, I guess it'll make quitting that much easier.

3 comments:

MASchiavo said...

Zach: I feel this way too when moving from job to job. Although all I've ever worked is bookstore retail -- where they expect people to come and go regularly -- no matter how much I hate the place, I still feel like I'm letting my bosses down.

But it's your life. You're moving for yourself and your wife and that's that. If they can't understand that, it's their loss.

Schiavo

kate said...

Dude, you are going to grad school. I agree with laura, it isn't because you are going to quit and go and work for the rivial dispatch company and tell them all of your old companies secrets or anything. But it is a hard thing. God, imagine when I had to tell your whole family that I was quitting MSP and going to grad school. Sadness x 20 (except for your mom...she totally encouraged me and made me feel excellent about my decision...goooo nancy!!!!)

Zachary Schomburg said...

Thanks M, L, and K. Very encouraging (for some reason I've been singing "Its my Life" by Bon Jovi in my head when I think and discuss this topic--and hell no, I'm not a fan, really, much.) Anyhizzle, I told my immediate boss today and got a you da man like L said. So, next step'll be easy.