Friday, November 18, 2005

Walking from the Union to Andrews Hall yesterday, I heard some loud clunky footsteps directly behind me that had the exact same gait as my own footsteps, the same exact pace, which I found unusual. Our paces matched for too long so I decided to speed mine up a bit, but the pace of our footsteps still matched. I then slowed it down: still the same. Pass me already! Finally, I kinda held one foot in the air an extra beat before I let it down, and they did too. It must be somebody I know putting me on only a few feet behind me, but when I turned around there was no one there. Apparently, it was the damn buckle on my pack, unlatched, and tapping the canvas. I felt pretty dumb and I wanted to tell someone, but I was all alone. So, I'm telling you.

3 comments:

Denny Schmickle said...

Zach,

This is a very interesting post.

I think that it really speaks to our solitude in the echoing cavern of the universe and the futility of attempting to "find ourselves" in it.

I'm getting a hotdog for lunch! LOL!

Reen said...

I had a nightmare years ago that consisted of that same invisible person mimicking my steps behind me. In my dream, I eventually just turned around and yelled, "Quit it!"

And it worked.

jwg said...

that was me in yr bag.

notice there are still leaves in yr yard.

What you gonna do about it?