Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Today in class I watched, for the first time, Dr. Strangelove. I'm almost ashamed to admit it (that its my first viewing). I've seen everything of Kubrick's except for this and the Killing, which Tony thinks highly of (it is on my Netflix list though). Anyway, George C. Scott is genius in this movie--has blown me away so far. We watch the second half on Thusday. Can't wait.

I have got to do some reviews. Got a couple lined up for Cutbank, and the Burning Chair, but I'm stuck in scholarly paper hell. I've got the fun part done: the books are read (Knox's Gringo Like Me and Greenberg's My Kafka Century). Just two weeks until I break out the pj pants and do the fun stuff for a couple weeks. Poems, Octopus, and what-not, and a trip with A to San Fran to see M and P. Aaah.

8 comments:

will said...

gitcher nose outta them books and watch more movies

Denny Schmickle said...

I hadn't seen it until last year.
We should form a support group.

CLAY BANES said...

I envy anybody who hasn't yet seen Dr. Strangelove. Sellers is brilliant.

If you're in Berkeley, please visit. I'll give you a fat discount.

CLAY BANES

will said...

who wants to buy fat?

will said...

now you need to watch the peter sellers story with geoffrey rush and charlize theron. educational AND entertaining. sellers was supposed to play a fourth character in that movie but he just plain couldn't spread his soul any further.

kate said...

oh will! I saw the life and death of peter sellers too! It made me not really like him as a person, though. Totally fascinating, however. I really enjoyed the movie, but not how I walked away viewing sellers...kind of made me wish I hadn't seen the movie so I could enjoy his characters more.

jwg said...

a shot in the dark is all i need. Not bad being able to make two perfect movies in one year.

Sellers would have been great, but slim pickins is as good a cowboy as wayne.

"Well I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard come over a set of earphones."

TT said...

Dr. Strangelove is sooo cool. Sterling Hayden is maybe my favorite actor ever, he cracks me up. Zach, you got to see The Killing. Really deadpan, nothing too deep, but endlessly watchable. Great miniature portraits of the characters, killer juggling of exposition, and Sterling Hayden is awesome.